Thursday, November 6, 2008

Can Your Dog Be a Vegetarian?

By Sarah Knudson

Here is a yell out to all of my dog-lover readers! Whooo-Hooo!

I have two dogs, Baxter and Pepper. I love them so much and they bring so much joy to my life! In fact, I will do just about anything for my dogs. I rescued both of my dogs (of course) and I believe rescued dogs can recognize and appreciate the fact that you saved their lives. You know, that makes me wonder...why do people actually buy dogs from puppy mills?? How barbaric! Anyways, I could talk for days about my dogs, but today, I wanted to specifically address the topic of feeding dogs a vegetarian diet and if it can be healthy for your cute canine. Obviously, this topic can be quit controversial as dogs are believed to be omnivores (diet consists of meats and vegetables).

After adopting Baxter, I asked my vet if a plant-based diet was healthy for dogs. His answer surprised me as he is a conventional Western-medicine type doctor. He said that YES, dogs can be very healthy on a vegetarian diet and there are several commercial vegetarian dog foods available on the market. To find a store near you, google "vegetarian dog food" and research their sites. As guardian of your pets, and being souly responsible for their well-being, choosing a vegetarian diet is a very personal and important decision.

My suggestion is to seek your vet's advice and make the decision that is right for your family. Also, ask your doctor to recommend a vegetarian dog food brand and what nutrient sources should be in the food you choose. If you choose not to feed your dogs a vegetarian diet, I urge you to choose a dog food that harvests the protein from an ethical and moral source. For example, buy dog food that is from free-range bison or line-caught salmon. It is better for your dog's health and certainly better for our earth and all the creatures that live here. The cost will be higher, but the payoffs to everyone involved will be greater.

TIP: Baxter and Pepper's favorite snack is: Veggie Life Vitality Sweet Potato Chews (Baxter is sitting right next to me know asking for one b/c I took the package out. How cute!) The Vitamin E will help keep their skin and coat healthy. Give these all natural treat a try! Until next time...and give your doggies a pat on the head from me!


Sarah Knudson, owner of TalkVegetarian.com is a lifetime animal advocate who has mastered self-created techniques to overcome society's resistance to the vegetarian lifestyle. To learn more about how to easily transition and sustain a cruelty-free life through vegetarianism, sign up for her newsletter at: http://www.talkvegetarian.com

No comments: